Time, Time, Time!

Chronemic's is a form of nonverbal communication that involves our use of time. Chronemic's in human history can cover all aspects of how cultures document and use time, whether it be through the use of calendars, clocks, or even simple understand of time. For example, Jandt states that most American Indian people undestand time to be cyclical whereas Western Cultures understand it as more linear.

But simply speaking about chronemic's in a practical sense, it could simply be how we use time to relate to people. For example, I am very punctual and on time when I have a meeting with, say, a professor or an employer. But if I am going to see some friends I may be a little late or consider my time as more loose with them.

Being late to a job interview could communicate to an employer a very bad image of yourself. So time usage is actually a very important nonverbal aspect of communication!

Below is a little video of Comedian Dane Cook talking about being late to work. Just to note: I do not like Dane Cook (at all), but this bit seemed appropriate. Also there is explicit language.

1 comment:

  1. I never really thought about this, but that's actually true. I notice at the begining of each quarter I press myself hard to be 5 or 10mins early to all my classes, but as I gain a relationship with my teachers it either makes me loosen up or be more aware of when I need to be at certain classes. The same goes with my employer. Whenever I get to work, however she interacts with me determines whether or not I can leave early or if my wrk wasn't efficient enough so i'd have to stay a little longer.

    ReplyDelete