Silence, more than just Golden

I saw this film a while back and it still creeps me out a little bit. It wasn't because of the quiet, but the dolls oh God! Anyways, the concept behind this movie was you scream or make a sound and you die with your tongue cut out. In communications case, I don't know if silence will save your life, but it can share a various amount of meanings depending on how you're silent. Silence is almost like an unwritten rule. One of those things you know is there, but isnt really noticed until someone else mentions it. You could be having an arguement with someone, and as soon as they come back at you with something witty, you go quiet. This could be interpreted as you're thinking of something else to say, you're embarassed, you agree, or you may not want to admit defeat. Therefore your silence says it for you. I personally enjoy silence as a communication technique, because i'm a more interpersonal person myself. I'd rather show things through my actions than my words, like many other cultures among the world. Once again, different cultures may have different meanings behind their use of silence. In Asia, silence is considered a sign of respect, especially in business settings. But, among Americans silence is considered rude or being in-attentive to the person addressing you. In contrast, silence is similar between diversitites in terms of making a change. Gandhi used silence as a nonviolent protest technique to gain India's indepence, as stated on pg 119. While, in America silence is used to protest against discrimination among the LGBT community. Silence is definitly a subject I have a bit of a passion for.
   

1 comment:

  1. Silence is definitely golden. Personally I love silence. I like a quiet home at nights, to focus and relax (that being said I also love blasting music when the time is right), but many people think that when you are with a friend or another person that silence may be awkward, personally I dont get any sense of awkwardness from silence when around people.

    ReplyDelete